Saturday, February 27, 2010

Enamel Latex paint over oil based paint on 1926 trim!?

I have a 1926 house with original trim. Someone got the great idea to paint over it with enamel latex paint years ago. The latex is sticking very well so I assume that they did prime the oil-based and then applied the latex.





I really don't want to strip to the wood or even to the oil. I'm sure there is a lot of lead paint under there! And the cost would be out of this universe (to do it the right way).





My questions are:





1. Can I apply a 'quality' enamel, latex over the existing enamel latex? Or do I have to prep it before that?





2. Is there any way to ';smooth out'; the years of gunky paint? Some type of Bondo like substance that can be sanded smooth before I apply the paint?





What is a quality brand of paint that will apply nicely and not drain my checking account ? ;)





I really want it to look nice and I need a professional's input. I am a new homebuyer and I can't afford to hire it out. What is your recommendation? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!





CraigEnamel Latex paint over oil based paint on 1926 trim!?
latex can stick to the oil base/lead base paint. If you end up doing any sort of scraping, make sure you ';wet scrape';. You are right, it probably is lead. Most houses build before 1978 were painted with lead paint. Wet scraping is where you wet down the surface before you scrape in order to keep as much dust down as possible. Lead is usually inhaled in dust form (not usually from people chewing on window sills as is commonly believed) and scraping kicks up alot of dust. So IF you scrap, make sure you do it safely.Enamel Latex paint over oil based paint on 1926 trim!?
you could use an oil based primer first, let cure until it sands easily, then use sherwin williams best (pro classic or duration) for the finish. No matter what you do it wont be a quick job. It might be easier just to replace the trim. You could also try wet/dry sandpaper, it removes paint really well, when the paper gets gummed up with paint just wash it off in a bucket of water. Patience Patience.
Hi,


You do need to sand to make the surface smooth %26amp; priming is always recommended. I've been using Pittsburgh Pure Performance paint, covers great %26amp; has NO odor.

No comments:

Post a Comment