Thursday, February 25, 2010

I am painting over high gloss enamel paint with latex paint - is there any paint that sticks without sanding?

i am painting over some high gloss enamel paint with latex paint - is there any paint that sticks without sanding all the gloss off the previous surface? i have painted some doors with hi gloss latex paint - they had previously had a nasty coat of gloss enamel on them - i sanded the gloss off but the paint didn't stick - i bump it and the paint just peels off, is there any sort of caustic paint that will eat into the enamel surface and STICK ? thanks!I am painting over high gloss enamel paint with latex paint - is there any paint that sticks without sanding?
yes, C.I.L. problem sover, or C.I.L. Smart paint, I,ve used this paint for yr,s It is the best primer I have ever used.I am painting over high gloss enamel paint with latex paint - is there any paint that sticks without sanding?
You painted Latex over Oil. That's why it's peeling. And you don't have to sand and sand until it's off. You can use a liquid de-glosser, or just rough up the surface a little, use a latex primer, then you can use what ever paint you want to on it. But there aint no paint, No where, No way, No How gonna stick to a slick surface. It must be de-glossed first.
You need to get an ';etching'; primer. There are a few different types, look in your local Do It Yourself store. You can either read the cans or ask an attendant for an ';etching'; primer, It adheres to anything. Remember a good paint job depends on the primer.GOOD LUCK!!
Kilz is the only thing I can think of, I've made that mistake before too....
When painting latex over oil based paint you MUST MUST MUST primer first. Use KILZ Primer and it eliminates the need to sand. The time you invest in priming will be worth it as it will prevent your latex paint from peeling off in a few days. Save yourself a little effort and when you buy your primer have it tinted the color of your latex top coat. The paint store will do this for free if you ask.
I agree with tlw733. That must be oil base paint you are trying to paint over and that Kilz is one of the best primers. I use latex Kilz and also have them tint it to the color that I am going to be painting with too. Older homes have oil base paint in them. Some people still prefer to paint with oil base. NOT me. I use latex.
Any good quality primer will do. I prefer Kilz. The whole painting process will turn out better if you spray rather than brush - if that is an option for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment