Thursday, February 25, 2010

What must I do to prepare chrome rims for enamel painting?

the rims show signs of age (minor rust)


I am painting the car and i was gonna paint the rims also.Do I sand to scrach the chrome or can I chemically etch the chrome to allow the enamel to stick?What must I do to prepare chrome rims for enamel painting?
I am in Auto body at NADC, yes getting them dand blasted will do the trick. How ever, if you cant get to a sand blaster, then you can also use a cleaning wheel to remove the chrome and most of the rust. It will be easier to remove the rust if you use rust x or something similar first. Then you can buy etch primer to then paint it. Unless you want to re crome it then you need to use wash primer, then have it chrome dipped. the etch primer can be baught at wal-mart in aresol cans. the was primer has to be sprayed with a gunand be properly mixed unless you want to let the shop charge you for them to do it , (maybe cheaper that way.)What must I do to prepare chrome rims for enamel painting?
NOOO and OMG NOOOO!! Are they actually Chrome rims? Or are they polished aluminum? Well, I'll guess you're not an idiot and say they are chrome. Just clean them very very carefully with a surfactant cleaner (one that removes oils). Make sure that it is a very thorough job so that the enamel paint will stick.
sandblast them

No comments:

Post a Comment