Sunday, February 21, 2010

I am painting my house (outside) and am not sure whether to use acrylic or enamel paint.?

I live in a pretty dry warm place and am not sure if either will provide a better result. Any help would be much appreciated.I am painting my house (outside) and am not sure whether to use acrylic or enamel paint.?
The paint companies have pretty good tutorials on how to select paint -- after all, they want happy customers. Here's a link to Sherwin-Williams. DIY.com also seems to have a lecture.





http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yo鈥?/a>





I think you have to remember that there's no perfect paint -- just choose the paint that seems best suited for you. Color is probably as important as type of paint -- White resists ultraviolet light, while blues and greens will need to be touched up more often. I read this on the Old House Journal website.





Good luck!I am painting my house (outside) and am not sure whether to use acrylic or enamel paint.?
Almost all acrylic paints (water based) are as good if not better, then oil based paints. Acrylics are easier to use, clean up and dry quicker. Most are less expensive.





For your area, go to the nearest Home Depot or Lowes and talk to the people in the paint department, they'll help you.





I have no idea where Larry G got his information but, oil based paints are still alive and well all over the country, I used it yesterday on some wood working I'm doing. I also used the ';oil based'; paint cleaner for it.





I also made paint for ';Minnesota paint co.'; now Valspar paints, working my way through college. Bye the way, they make one of the best ';oil based'; paints on the market although expensive.
There might be some confusion on this matter. First, most people call what used to be ';Oil Base'; paint ENAMEL.





Enamel is actually a paint with ';hardeners'; in it for washability. Emanels are Gloss or Semi-Gloss. The hardeners create the gloss.





Actual ';Oil Paint'; has been removed from the market due to the VOC's (Volital Organic Compounds) that adversly affect the ozone layer of the atmosphere.





Acrylics and Latex are both water based (thinning %26amp; clean-up). The best exterior house paint is 100% acrylic.





Larry G


retired handyman %26amp; I sold paint for a number of years.
If you chose Acrylic (water) over Enamel (Oil) you better makes certain that you prime and paint with Acrylic that is made to cover over oil. Water based paint applied to oil based finishes will bead (not cover) oil based surfaces that are not properly primed.
Don't expect me to come and help you repaint that dump buddy, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment