Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Would enamel paint damage my plastic airbrush?

I would like to use enamel paints when painting a model, would enamel paints eat away at the plastic in my airbrush?Would enamel paint damage my plastic airbrush?
I've never used a plastic airbrush, but I wouldn't recommend them for enamel. Most enamels are solvent based, so you'll not only be shooting the enamel through your gun, but you'll also need to use the same solvent, full strength to clean it. This will most likely cause problems with plastic.





I'd recommend getting yourself an Iwata. They have solvent proof O-rings. They're a little on the pricey side, but worth it. If a new Iwata doesn't fit you budget, try Airbrush depot. http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/ They sell a brand called Master Airbrush. I have a couple of these, and while they're not quite Iwata quality, they're pretty close. They're basically Iwata knockoffs. There are a bunch of companies selling these under different names, but I did a little research and they all come from the same factory in China. Airbrush Depot is the only one selling replacement parts for a reasonable price. It will take quite a while, but you'll eventually need to replace the needle guide O-ring. They claim to be solvent proof, but that's a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment