Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Does enamel paint / paint thinner damage plastic models or miniatures?

I have mostly enamel paints, that I use to paint metal miniatures for wargaming. If I use the same paint on plastic models or miniatures, will it damage them?Does enamel paint / paint thinner damage plastic models or miniatures?
I have used both on plastic models before. I would not use a lot of paint thinner on a plastic model. For removing paint I have used brake fluid before, and you can save it for later use. I have submersed models in it for a day or two, brings paint right off. I did forget once and leave it for a week or so and it ate the model, ruined it. Good Luck hope this helped.Does enamel paint / paint thinner damage plastic models or miniatures?
The ORIGINAL PAINTS for plastic models are/were enamels.... Testors, Pactra, and others from the 1950s and 1960s. What a curious question!

Report Abuse



Acrylic paints are *much* easier to use anyway :) You have to love paint that thins with water!

Report Abuse



in most cases no but it is always a good idea to try it on a piece of scrap or a hidden spot first
I've been painting military miniatures and plastic models since 1974, and have NEVER had a problem with brand-name enamels and their matching thinners.





I recently started using SOME acrylics (Tamiya) and those work fine also.





GOOD luck and always use proper ventilation !!

No comments:

Post a Comment