Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I want to paint the walls of a room from eggshell enamel paint to flat paint. Do I need to prime first?

I would probably paint a white coat of KILZ. (at walmart). That will keep any oils or stains from seeping through your new paint job.I want to paint the walls of a room from eggshell enamel paint to flat paint. Do I need to prime first?
It's going to depend on the kind of paint you are using. I think this would be a good question for the guys at the local hardware store. Oh, and whether you prime or not, it is always a good idea to wash the walls first. I use TSP and water, wear rubber or latex gloves, and use a disposable sponge, one of those with the scrubber stuff on the back. Also be sure you mask off anything you don't want paint on, use the best quality materials and brushes etc you can afford. Trust me, it makes a whole world of difference.I want to paint the walls of a room from eggshell enamel paint to flat paint. Do I need to prime first?
Eggshell and flat only tell you what kind of finish the paint is. Eggshell is just a tiny bit shinier than flat paint. What makes the difference is is you're using a flat enamel paint or planning on using a flat latex paint. If you're using enamel paint again then no, you won't need to prime the walls. Just make sure they're clean.





If you're planning on applying latex paint over enamel, then yes, you'll need to prime and you'll need to use an oil based primer to do it. If you don't, the flat latex paint will peel and scratch off easily. You can paint oil over latex or enamel but not latex over enamel and oil. You can however paint latex over oil based PRIMER.





The primer I prefer is H2Oil by Bull's Eye 1-2-3:


http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.as鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment