Sunday, February 21, 2010

Painting plastic tanks, enamel paint wont dry?

I painted my plastic tanks using testors enamel and it has not dried yet after 4 days? I didnt use any thinner when applying. What is the correct way? Can I get my tanks to dry or do I need to remove paint and start overPainting plastic tanks, enamel paint wont dry?
There are TWO possible reasons for enamel paints being ';tacky'; after FOUR days:





1) Painting during high humidity. The moisture in the air isn't permitting the paint to shed it's moisture and dry.





The ';Cure';... buy a dehumidifier, or wait for better weather to do your painting.





2) The miniatures are of an incompatible plastic... the enamel paints are acting as a solvent and are softening the plastic. The reaction is constantly keeping the paint ';tacky';.





I'd be curious to know the manufacturer of the tanks, and your location weather-wise.





GOOD LUCK.Painting plastic tanks, enamel paint wont dry?
When I make airfix models or when I repair my old battered hornby set I always use Humbrol. I have been for the past ten years and it is a great enamel paint as it dries in just 6 hours. However if using pots of paint is not working, try using Humbrol aerosol, it is quite effective and bonds to nearly every modelling material.

No comments:

Post a Comment