Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What can be used to remove enamel paint from plastic models?

I used enamel paints (Testors) to paint a couple of model kits. I want to repaint them. What can be used to remove enamel besides thinner? I'm looking for a substance in which I can leave the parts submerged overnight.What can be used to remove enamel paint from plastic models?
Do NOT get those models NEAR nail-polish remover !! That acetone will melt the plastic !!





The standard technique is to soak the model (after you remove clear-parts) in brake fluid, usually overnight. Make SURE you wear gloves and safety glasses.





I've done this with a few dozen models I built decades ago as well as some I've gotten at garage sales.What can be used to remove enamel paint from plastic models?
Maybe nail polish remover? Depending on what the parts are made of, you may need to use non-acetone remover.
I would go to my local hobby store and buy this. http://www.chameleonproductsonline.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment